In the lecture 9 ideas will be underlined, 9 ideas will be developed, for those ideas explain the development of BERRIA GROUP as a company and a project.
1. BERRIA is a project that should have never been born. No one should have ever launched it. After the closing by the force and without any explanation of EGUNKARIA (something proved afterwards by the Supreme Court) BERRIA was born. This is something we should bear in mind before anything else. The upraisal was atypical, and in those times, while in 2003 all companies were getting full of debts, we did not have that choice (fortunately we must say today), we had on us the black stain granted by the Supreme Court and Spanish Law System. Petty stuff. We appeared in the way we appeared, and in our origins lie the creation and character of EGUNKARIA.
2. In that context, not only did we find appropriate the creation of a community project, but also necessary. BERRIA has 25.000 shareholders, a very scattered one. The country itself became owner of the project and since then a whole community has been created, a neverending process : a community not restricted to the shareholders themselves, but encloses too the “friends of berria” (12.000), the cultural ecosystem, the sector….BERRIA is a project that gives added value to its clients, because we are much more than a newspaper, a necessary tool for our linguistic community.
3. BERRIA GROUP keeps its way in the communication area, in Basque,
a. We will explain the company`s structure here.
b. Yearly budget, consolidated
c. And its big production
i. Berria newspaper, berria web page. Significant Otureach data (we will compare ourselves with Spanish and Catalunian newspapers).
ii. Local newspapers “Hitza”, collaboration work with other associates.
iii. 11amaika TB. We will compare ETB-Basque TV with CIES data.
iv. Irrien Lagunak
d. More than 200 employess in staff, and a very large community in the contents production :”a big collaborators network, writers, creators…
4. A project based on the people’s abilities. In this project, we give very much importance to the personal and profesional development. It is very frequent to see individuals who start as scholarship mates and after a few years you see them in management. Besides, apart from BERRIA the very journalist is promoted as a brand, his/her value being hightlighted, boosted. The own journalist plunges in the social networks for his/her work, and starts up relatins with his/her close community, something that enables him/her to surpas the limits of BERRIA and dive in other areas: books p”roduction, participation in cultivated chats as experts, etc.
5. Borrowing from Jose Cabrera his concept in order to outline the 5th idea: we think we have been able to unveil the jump from the jerarquy towards the redarquy, we are in the process of unveiling it. In our company we have a managing department, of course, there is someone who arranges the responsibiities and salaries, but there is very little difference between one another.
a. Collaboration is promoted, not rivalry, collective learning
b. The ability to influence and inspire enthusiasm is greatly valued, not the ability to impose.
c. A great importance is given to process control, but based on the the people’s trust: we don’t check in/out, the work schedule is flexible, the control is not an everyday thing, asfixiating;
d. There is total transparence, economically speaking as well as decision making speaking, transparence in the intranet, general assemblies.
e. And participation, as basic of everything else: over here, solutions are not always top- bottom set up; solutions, very often, come up bottom-up: innovaton processes, for example (recently carried out, for example).
f. In relation to the Administration Committe, it is changed every 5 years, promoting transparence, plurality and participation. In the end, we try to develop the capacities and knowledge of our association, every individual’s, creating a fast management system.
We still have a lot to learn relating this matter, however we think we have come a long way. That is our model, we do not have another choice.
6. BERRIA is a project that comes from the society, and we are proud of that, but it is also a company that competes in the open market and in a neverending innovation process. We are constantly innovating our product, adapting itself to new realities (digitalization, but also adapting to paper production, for example Sundays Berria). Moreover, processes and management an editing systems are also constanlty updated, mostly throgh free software.
7. And yes, being as we are inmersed in a sector that is suffering the crisis, we too are in the middle of crisis. Our balance is very clean, as mentioned before we do not have any kind of debt with any bank whatsoever, nor with any loan intitution, and the losses in these last 11 years have been very small. However, the future does not lie easy to us either, we too hae experienced the fall of publicity and sales. Anyhow, we keep on working the future, dealing with the uneasy future. Somehow we are adapting ourselves to make a sustainable future, we have elliminated many posts, but there have barely been any dismissals.
8. Looking at the future, we have very well defined strategy lines. It is clear foru s that we must cut on our paper dependence, and we are succeeding in doing so (ours nowadays is 65%, and big newspapers’ is 80%). Thanks to BERRIALAGUNA we have gained a leading linguistic community, thanks to the economic collaborations of 12.000 friends to BERRIA, and that quantity is going up. On top of Eldiario.es, Vilaweb and similar.
9. Final idea, the most important one: our mission. Our social duty is crytal clear, we have clear that for linguistic normalization and cohesion of a linguistic community it is basic to have an efficient media network. Every linguistic community needs a media network to communicate in its own language, looking from the window of its own culture-roots. In this sense, BERRIA’s mission goes beyond the creation of a newspaper: it is the development of a culture industry, a sector, the develpment of the Basque Country.