One of the purposes of universities is the extent of knowledge to society. It is a task that goes beyond those enrolled in the faculties and tries to reach all citizens.
For this, the UPV / EHU, in addition to the activities that in this regard has already been developed, wanted to establish a disciplinary mechanism and steady that assumes the extension of science and technology to society in an integral way through the establishment of the Chair of Scientific Culture.
Goals of the Chair
- Promote the scientific and technological culture in the Basque society
- Awake the interest among citizens towards topics related to science for a better view and understanding of the environment.
- Transmit the value of science as a cultural richness that contributes to welfare and social cohesion.
- Consolidate a positive assessment of the population towards institutional efforts in support of scientific development.
The activity of the chair combines three key areas:
- Teaching. Collaboration with different Faculties of the UPV / EHU and the Secondary schools with complementary activities contributing to the official curriculum and providing an integrated view of scientific progress.
- Research. Knowing the demands and concerns of the population in the area of scientific and technological applications we are more capable of using accurate tools to guide the public policies and design the strategy for communication and transfer to society of all these matters in a clear and efficient manner.
- Extension of knowledge. It is the key activity of the Chair, the essence of its existence as a popularizing agent, covering the organization of events, conferences, round tables, collaboration with entities of science with institutions of scientific and other similarly-themed university chairs and internet communications across different Web 2.0 tools such as blogs and the social networks Facebook and Twitter.